Living in Singapore as domestic helper wasn’t easy, apart of having long working hours and giving mostly one day off in a week that fall on Sunday most domestic helper like to hang out around their biggest community place in Singapore.
There is quite number of domestic helper in Singapore, mostly come from the neighbourhood country like Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar and some are from India recently. And all of them have their own special place that they turn into big community meet up on Sunday in Singapore. As for example LUCKY PLAZA around Orchad area are for Philipino, CITY PLAZA around paya lebar are mostly Indonesian, PENINSULA PLAZA and around padang are for Myanmar and the Indian most likely going to MUSTAFA CENTER along side little India. They normally gathering to meet up with their friends, eat their country foods or sending remittance to their family back home.
As one of them, I don’t really like to go to all that area on Sunday actually. It just to crowded for me and the only exception I am going to that area was when I was craving for some food that only available around those area. Most of domestic helper just spending their day off sit down and mingled around those area because they think most of the place in Singapore are expensive and need to paid if we want to go there and to enjoy it.
Being a person that very curious in everything, I won’t going to wasted my day off just doing all of the above. I like to enjoy and explore what Singapore has to offer while I am working and living in Singapore.
Below are few of my favorite list that we all domestic helper could enjoy without paying, just need to bring your water bottle or some snacks and an Ez-link card for going place to place if you don’t fancy walking or using sharing bike.
- BOTANIC GARDEN, tags along your friend, bring mat and picnic equipment, or just simply put on your training suit you free to go and there is also free music performance in the evening.
- DOWNTOWN AREA, I started by taking MRT or bus to stop at city hall mrt. I started to walk or using sharing bike to explore from national gallery Singapore to go to the art house, civilian museum and I take a sit in a wooden bench around the Singapore river facing view of The Fullerton hotel.
- MARINA BAY SAND and around, there are plenty of way to explore the most Iconic Singapore area such as The Merlion, Marina Bay Sands, the Esplanade, an Iconic Fullerton Hotel and The Fullerton bay hotel and downtown area full of high rise building in just one round. Just put on your nice dress get your photo ready, enjoy the view and take a shoot like a tourist and don’t forget spectra light show in front of marina bay sand at 8pm.
- GARDEN by The BAY, evening is the best time to go here, is not that hot at that time, except for the flower dome and the OCBC skywalk all are free to go and explore and don’t forget to tune into their garden rhapsody show to see the light form the mega tree.
- SENTOSA BEACH, as a beach person I am going to the beach quite a lots for just sun tanning. I normally go to palawan beach or siloso and if I want to bring my dog with me I go to tanjong beach. All is at sentosa and free. Don’t forget your sunblock and you all set.
- EAST COAST PARK, just go for cycling from here to the city in the beach in the evening or just bring your furry friends for a good walk is a mind treats and plus we get to do exercise too. Mind and body combo.
- SENTOSA COVE VILLAGE, imagine going to canes at France? With the background of 15°marina club, luxurious Yacht, boardwalk and few cafes and bars line up a long the way is perfect time to have evening stroll or just take some shoot.
- MAC RITCHIE RESERVOIR and TREE TOP TRAIL, whether you are hiking person or just bored from the skyscraper views? Worries no more, head on MacRitchie Reservoir to walk alongside their jungle trail or boardwalking and if you like to challenge yourself, go try hiking to the Tree Top is breathaking view you get after sometimes hiking and some effort that paid off. Just don’t forget to apply mosquito replelance and bring your own water bottle and snacks and watch out for the Monkeys attack.
- SINGAPORE HERITAGE TRAIL, from Chinatown, Little India, Bugis, Haji lane, Arab street or even Tanjong katong at east coast area, spoil your self with this Singapore Heritage history and their historical shop house building full of colours and Instagram worth it.
- The QUAY and SINGAPORE RIVER, most of us domestic helper think this place is super expensive and need money to enjoy it. For sure that is true if we going into one of those fancy bars. But did you know you could just sit down by the river behind Clarke quay central and enjoy the singapore river and the boat view? or just relaxing with friends,your books or even your notepad ? there is free WiFi from the malls or wireless sg. Even better if you like to jog or just enjoying slowly ride You could explore all the three quay together. I normally start from Boat quay go to Clarke quay and end it at Robetson quay, the evening view at Robetson quay was amazing with the river and the bridge and some of the lights for few bars nearby is pretty romantic :).
I guess I have enough this time for few of my cheap Sunday list. Will come into another list for the great experience with low cost. 🙂
Billion hugs 🤗